Richard Beck, P.E., MCP, CBO
Vice President of Uniform Evaluation Services
IAPMO’s Uniform Evaluation Service (UES) remains the nation’s fastest growing evaluation program. There are many reasons for UES’ success, but two stand out: the support of the IAPMO family of companies and support from IAPMO membership. Thank you. We would not be anywhere without you all.
Why can a Uniform Evaluation Report be trusted? For many reasons: Uniform ES is not only a ISO/IEC 17065 Accredited Conformity Assessment Body by ANSI, we have professional engineers on staff with many years of evaluation report development. We also comply with the key IBC sections 104.11 and 1703, but the key is that we are also part of a Model Code Organization. Model Code Organizations exist to serve the public’s best interests, not those of stockholders or individual owners.
You can be proud of the year we had, here are some highlights:
• UES issued ER-2015 to recognize The Tile Roofing Institute’s Concrete and Clay Roof Tile Installation Manual.
• UES issued ER-0431 to Pinkwood Ltd on their I-Joists.
• UES continues to emphasize relationships. As relationships are built, trust ensues. Everywhere you go in the model code business you see relationships, and we respect them. There are many long-standing relationships between manufacturers and their testing laboratories and inspection agencies, which can remain intact under UES policies.
• UES is teaming up with many prominent laboratories and inspection agencies to leverage the resources of each, all to better serve the code and design community.
• UES continues to fill its role of providing a source of evaluation reports and seeks to become the agency of choice. We maintain that competition is good for America.
• We are living up to our role as the “Assurance Company.” We don’t provide insurance; that is something you use after a problem happened to recoup some of your loss. Rather, we provide additional assurance that products will perform up the minimum level required by the adopted codes.
• The city of Los Angeles accepts reports in many areas from only two agencies. We are one of them.
• UES staff is actively participating in professional groups such as ASTM, SEAOC, and CAMA.
We strive to do business the old fashioned way, we endeavor to listen. If you have any suggestions on how to further improve our service please don’t hesitate to contact me at (909) 230-5533.
Download article on UES qualifications.